Hewlett Packard Enterprise is an industry leading technology company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry's most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data center to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive and more secure.
The IP Analysis group is a team of technologists who collaborate with organizations across HPE to analyze HPE’s intellectual property (IP) portfolio, to identify and position HPE’s IP for monetization (e.g., sales or licenses) while maintaining HPE’s IP differentiation and freedom of action strategies. Each year, HPE generates significant revenue from IP monetization.
Our team is looking for an individual with a strong technical background in the servers space and an interest in IP to help us support HPE’s IP monetization efforts. Previous experience with IP matters – especially patents – is strongly preferred. Please see the additional details below.
This is an opportunity to develop a deep understanding of IP, the value of IP to HPE, and other businesses; and to contribute to a very dynamic, highly strategic, and growing business. A motivated, proactive and innovative individual would be in a position to bring significant value to HP in this position.
IP Technologists perform the following functions:
- Analyze HPE’s IP portfolios to identify high-value IP that can be monetized in view of HPE’s differentiation and freedom of action strategies
- Collaborate with the Intellectual Property Sales and Licensing (IPSL) and Intellectual Property Transaction and Counseling (IPTC) groups to provide technical support for sales and licensing programs
- Identify third parties that would benefit from rights to access HPE’s IP
- Provide evidence of use and technical analysis to demonstrate the value of HPE’s IP to third parties
- Identify and review patents that are related to (e.g., potentially essential for) a standard
- Support valuation of HPE IP (e.g., valuation of patents and software)
- Analyze HPE IP such as software for potential risks arising from monetization
- Evaluate HPE’s strategic and tactical IP position relative to third parties
The right candidates would be expected to have the following traits / qualifications:
- Deep technical expertise in subject matter aligned with one or more of HPE’s businesses with at least a solid understanding of server technology
- Excellent communication skills and ability to teamwork
- Attention to detail, rigorous analytic skills, and adaptable
- Ability to manage priorities and strong workload management skills
- Desire to understand the legal principles governing IP and the business of IP monetization
- Prior experience with IP (e.g., patent analysis, experience with HPE patent committees, or registered patent agent) is strongly preferred.
- Bachelors in a technical field or business field.
- Preferred - Currently enrolled in a law school program, or desire to pursue a legal education focused in IP studies.