Despite pervasive connectivity in most urban areas in the United States, as of January 2015 the FCC estimated that nearly 55 million Americans across the country had no access to broadband services. USAC administers the $10 billion Universal Service Fund, which the FCC created to address serious gaps in needed coverage. We deliver funds through four programs (E-rate, Lifeline, Rural Healthcare and High Cost), to people and places who need it most - rural, hard-to-reach communities, low income households and schools and libraries who need access to facilitate learning. We are passionate about our universal service mission, and we are in the midst of transforming our organization to better support its realization.
We seek an experienced professional to serve as Project Manager III within our IT PMO team to help perform project management activities for complex, high profile programs and projects, working with cross-functional IT teams and product owners to deliver business solutions. Reporting to the Senior Manager of IT PMO you will drive to successful conclusion all aspects of USAC information technology initiatives. The results of this position will be a managed approach to information technology projects with increased scope, time, and objective achievement.
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an individual interested in a genuine professional challenge in support of a public-spirited mission.
Working in a creative and fast-paced environment, the Project Manager III will provide strong analytical skills for vetting project issues and cross-team logistical challenges. Among others, your responsibilities will include the following:
* Performs project planning, resourcing, cost estimating and scheduling;
* Manages technical resources assigned to the project team, from internal sources and/or external vendors;
* Works with stakeholders to assure project goals and execution are aligned with business goals;
* Contributes to system, data and application architecture decisions;
* Assures adherence to internal review processes and technical standards;
* Drives project activity to defined milestones and deliverables;
* Monitors, tracks, and reports on project schedules and costs;
* Updates project stakeholders through weekly status reports and appropriate meetings;
* Coordinates project requirements with other IT functions;
* Generates standard project documentation that correspond to a specific project phase;
* Consults with departments on business requirements and specifications;
* Determines the development and application of criteria to evaluate alternative systems and provides recommendations for product selection;
* Represents the IT department in coordination with other departments;
* Manages outsourced work, consultants, vendors, and relationships.
The successful candidate will excel at operating in a diverse and fluid environment, and will be crucial for the management of IT projects in order to push forward and complete the goals of the IT PMO Team.
* You are passionate about our mission to help Americans gain access to essential communications technology
* You are a problem solver with great attention to detail, can work with little supervision, multi-task, and learn quickly
* You have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in high-pressure situations
* You have 8 to 10 years of experience performing the duties outlined above in a professional environment
* You have 8 to 10 years of demonstrated experience in information systems
* You have 6 to 8 years of hands-on experience in IT project management, project management practices and techniques, and also project management software
* You have 4 to 5 years of experience with Agile software development methodologies
* You possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a related field or have equivalent related experience
The following skills are required:
* Project Management Professional (PMP)
* Preparing and delivering information in a concise, professionally written format
* Preparing and presenting information to staff in an informal setting
* Working in teams, task forces, etc.
* Coordinating work among teams, groups, etc.
* Maintaining positive customer rapport
* Organizational skills
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Strong computer and presentation skills
The following skills are desired:
* You have experience with managing Information Technology projects within the Capability Maturity Model framework.
* You have experience with Agile Methodologies
* Recommending and formulating short-range plans/decisions
* Analyzing and developing solutions to problems
The Universal Service Administrative Company is dedicated to achieving universal service. This important principle suggests that all Americans deserve accessible, affordable and pervasive telephone and high-speed broadband connectivity. Our non-profit company is in the midst of a dramatic transformation to ensure that we are configured to achieve this goal.
USAC employees are passionate about our mission. Our work contributes to the success of all Americans. We've worked together to build a culture that is collaborative, ambitious, outcome-oriented, and feedback-focused.
USAC offers a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing professional development opportunities, and balance between the demands of work and life.
USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only principals will be accepted. No agencies please.
To apply, please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and resume here.