The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is seeking a Senior Network Engineer to join its Information Technology (IT) team. The Senior Network Engineer is responsible for maintaining and providing Tier 2 support for the AAMC network infrastructure, including but not limited to switches, routers, firewalls, load-balancers, and wireless controllers. This position provides support for a hosting environment with 200+ web applications. In addition to engineering responsibilities, which include 24x7 Production on-call support, the Sr. Network Engineer serves as the lead resource for IT infrastructure projects in the networking domain. S/he is a key contributor for supporting day-to-day networking processes; this would include creating firewall policies and performing switch port activations. S/he follows operational procedures and participates in operational monitoring as well as the configuration and administration of network systems. The Sr. Network Engineer works closely with all members of the Infrastructure Services Team, including storage, security, and virtualization team members. A strong working knowledge of storage, operating systems, and application deployment is needed to provide support across IT teams. S/he will serve as the senior most technical member of the team and will mentor junior team members. This position provides opportunities to contribute to engineering of new systems and re-engineering of old ones. Additional responsibilities include: the verification of technical accuracy and consistency of configuration changes made by other engineering staff and maintaining the documentation of key functional processes.
Description & Responsibilities
Troubleshoot Network Issues
* Analyze problems with network equipment and operating systems.
* Deliver timely resolution and document troubleshooting procedures in order to mitigate the impact of issues and improve infrastructure performance.
* Perform incident response tasks and services restoration.
* Apply IOS upgrades and security patches in order to maintain servers at a high level of performance, availability, and security.
* Proactively monitor network equipment, services, and applications utilizing Solarwinds monitoring tool.
* Respond to issues on Network related platform components.
* Determine performance trends and opportunities for optimization.
* Provide consultation to other IT units regarding monitoring capabilities and practices to maximize system performance and availability.
Fulfill and Administer Service Requests
* Perform a variety of Network activities to successfully complete a range of service requests including, but not limited to, firewall policy, port activation, server/service restarts, war room support, technical support to other groups, etc.
* Close service requests in a timely manner.
Infrastructure Consultation and Support
* Collaborates closely with other infrastructure teams (e.g. Network, Storage, Windows, and Database) to provide expert consultation and technical administration for projects, initiatives, and general operations in order to ensure system performance, availability, and security across platforms.
* Provides secondary support for Storage and Backups as needed.
* A Bachelor-s degree in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or related field is required; a Master-s degree is preferred.
* Strong equivalent experience may be substituted for a degree.
* At least 8 years of relevant work experience.
* Cisco Certified Network Associate certification is required; Cisco Certified network Professional or higher certification is preferred.
* Expert knowledge of TCP/IP, IP routing, LAN and WAN protocols, BGP, campus and data center switching, and load balancing focusing on Cisco and F5 solutions.
* Expert knowledge of Cisco hardware and software including wireless, ISE, IPS, new generation Cisco technology, Nexus, UCS.
* Advanced experience in infrastructure design related to network, data center, and storage equipment.
* Advanced knowledge of Cisco routing and switching - can effectively configure routers, Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches.
* Advanced knowledge of Cisco MDS SAN switching and/or experience with Nexus data center switching a strong plus.
* Advanced knowledge of high availability data center design and operations.
* Advanced knowledge of VMWare and Cisco Unified Computing System integration.
* Advanced knowledge of industry standard networking concepts, practices, procedures, and protocols.
* Knowledge of F5 Networks hardware and software.
* Knowledge and experience with public and private cloud design, integration, and operation.
* Expert-level proficiency with Cisco Routing and Switching, Firewalls, ISE, Unified Computing Server platform, WLC controllers and access points, and Nexus datacenter.
* Advanced-level proficiency with Cisco Call Manager, IM Presence, Unity Voicemail, Call Center Infrastructure, Cisco AQM.
* Advanced-level proficiency with VMware ESX, F5 Load balancers, XML Gateways, LAN and SAN switching, Storage technologies (iSCSI on Netapp and Nimble platform).
* Expert-level proficiency with networking protocols and technologies like IP, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, VPN, HSRP, VRRP, SSH, IPSEC, NAT, ACL, VLAN, VTP, STP, ISL Trunking, SNMP, Client Access VPN, Point-to-Point VPN, SNMP, ACS TACACS, RADIUS, TCPdump, Channel Multicasting.
* Excellent problem-solving skills and a high degree of self-motivation.
* Excellent communication skills, specifically the ability to transfer clear information to technical and non-technical staff.
* A strong desire to learn cutting edge networking technologies and the active pursuit of certifications of competencies will be expected to be acquired and maintained particularly on Cisco equipment.
* Hands-on experience in the configuration, management, and troubleshooting of Cisco Unified Communications Products on a SIP-Based VOIP environment.
If a bachelor-s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative-- Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.